Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This is not really a post about knitting


I recently knitted a scarf out of a beautiful cotton yarn.  I knew that stockinette-stitch scarves roll inward, but I hoped that a garter-stitch border would control it.  No such luck.  I kept knitting, figuring I could block the scarf once it was done, and force it flat.  That didn't work either.  It is truly in the nature of stockinette to roll.  And if I, as the creator of the scarf, wanted a non-rolling scarf, I should have chosen a different stitch. I can't hold the scarf, or the yarn, or the stitch responsible for something that I chose to do.  At this point I can decide to accept the scarf as it is, or unravel it and redeem the yarn by making something new.  I could always burn it, but why punish the yarn for something the knitter chose to do?  


1 comment:

  1. The picture of your scarf looks sort of like the squids we were reading about yesterday.

    ReplyDelete