Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Journaling as a Legacy

This morning I've been sitting at my mom's dining room table with my Grandma Hess.  She's been watching the birds, and I've been knitting.  Grandpa is reading in his recliner.  It's been a peaceful morning.

Grandma is 94, and has kept diaries since she was a teenager.  I asked her if she's still doing it, and she said, "No, but I should."

I should, too.  Grandma has provided a legacy to us in her words.  We can look back and find out snippets of her life (nothing profound in Grandma's diaries), glimpses of who she was and who she is and where we come from.   I'd love to know more about the other women (and men) who came before me, and I'd love to leave a legacy for those who come after me, even though to me my days seem routine and relatively uninteresting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment